Cloud Hybrid Search in SharePoint 2013

I just came back from my Spanish days in Mallorca and looking through my unread feed I found an interesting post by Stefan Goßner about Cloud Hybrid Search in SharePoint 2013. (Ok, I also noticed that SharePoint Server 2016 Preview is available but I already read a tons on post about that and I do not have something to add about that :)). This is a new feature brought by SharePoint Server 2013 August 2015 Cumulative Update that makes it possible to search from Office 365 (or from SharePoint Server) both on-premises and on-line content.

You may already have read about something similar for SharePoint Server 2016 as the Cloud Search Service Application. Yes, it is :) (more…)

I’ll be speaking at #SPSFlorence

I’ll be speaking at #SPSFlorence

On Saturday June 20th, 2015 I’ll be speaking at SPSFlorence. This is the first SharePoint Saturday’s event in Florence and I’m honored to be part of the show. As far as I know SPSFlorence will be the first SharePoint related event in Italy with such an international target, most of the speakers come from all over Europe and all sessions will be held in English.

I will speak about Display Templates from the very basics to how to customize search results using search APIs. I will co-present with my fellows Mattia and Claudio, SharePoint MVP and one of the best developer I ever met. You can take a look to the agenda and event’s location on SPSEvents.org.

(more…)

Troubleshoot SharePoint 2013 search queries 101

There are some easy steps I follow every time I have to troubleshoot SharePoint 2013 search queries when I’m quite sure that I should get some result but the Search Result (or Content By Search, aka CBS) Web Part do not agree.

First of all, I have to admit, I’m not perfect and I know that very well so the first thing I double check is the query I wrote. I usually re-write the query from scratch using a tool other than out-of-the-box Query Builder, SharePoint 2013 Search Query Tool (v2.x).

(more…)

Troubleshooting SharePoint 2013 Display Templates

Uno degli aspetti di SharePoint 2013 su cui mi sono concentrato particolarmente in questi mesi è il nuovo servizio di ricerca, sia dal punto di vista dell’architettura che da quello “site-builder”.

Lavorando con i display templates mi sono imbattuto in uno strano problema di “aggiornamento” dei dati, o almeno così pensavo. Dopo aver creato Result Source, Display Template e Result Type il cliente con cui lavoravo mi ha chiesto se fosse possibile cambiare alcuni dei metadati visualizzati nei risultati della ricerca. Nessun problema, basta modificare questo file (display template) e… nulla, tutto uguale a prima.

La prima cosa che ho fatto a questo punto è stata di “esplorare” i dati restituiti dalla query con Fiddler. Analizzando la risposta JSON della chiamata “ProcessQuery” (/searchcenter/_vti_bin/client.svc/ProcessQuery) mi sono accordo che venivano richiamati ancora i vecchi metadati nonostante nel file html relativo al diplay template fossero indicati altri campi. (more…)

Crawl Log Timer Jobs MIA (missing in action)

<autocelebrazione>E’ con immenso piacere che scrivo questo primo post sul nuovo blog, sempre WordPress, ma “autogestito”. Il nuovo tema responsivo mi soddisfa molto dal punto di vista tecnico, un po’ meno da quello grafico… ho idea che i lavori non siano ancora finiti, so stay tuned ;) </autocelebrazione>

Giorni fa mi sono imbattuto in uno strano problema in ambito “Search”. Stavo indagando un errore del servizio di ricerca in una farm SharePoint 2010 quando, accedendo ai crawl log mi sono accorto che non era presente alcun log. Sapevo per certo che l’indicizzazione dei contenuti avveniva come me da pianificazione, ma di log neanche l’ombra.

Il popolamento dei crawl log e la loro manutenzione sono responsabilità di due timer job:

  • Crawl Log Cleanup for Search Application <Nome SSA>
  • Crawl Log Report for Search Application <Nome SSA>

(more…)