SharePoint 2013 August 2015 CU contains a bug, some fix and a cool new feature

Yesterday I blogged about a new cool feature introduced in SharePoint 2013 with the August 2015 CU. I just read about an annoying regression that makes not possible to add attachments to custom lists items.

Trevor Seward blogged about that some days ago, posting a workaround to fix the bug > http://thesharepointfarm.com/2015/08/august-2015-cu-error-file-names-cant-contain-the-following-characters/.

It’s a pity because as I wrote yesterday the August update introduce the support for the cloud hybrid search feature that is really cool and it also fixes some Office integration issue in Chrome that came out after Google introduced restriction in add-in functionality.

Ian Morrish and Microsoft blogged about that:

Shame on you SharePoint 2013 August 2015 CU!
– Riccardo

Cloud Hybrid Search in SharePoint 2013

I just came back from my Spanish days in Mallorca and looking through my unread feed I found an interesting post by Stefan Goßner about Cloud Hybrid Search in SharePoint 2013. (Ok, I also noticed that SharePoint Server 2016 Preview is available but I already read a tons on post about that and I do not have something to add about that :)). This is a new feature brought by SharePoint Server 2013 August 2015 Cumulative Update that makes it possible to search from Office 365 (or from SharePoint Server) both on-premises and on-line content.

You may already have read about something similar for SharePoint Server 2016 as the Cloud Search Service Application. Yes, it is :) (more…)

Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpdatedConcurrencyException

I already wrote about this topic in the past (http://blog.riccardocelesti.it/an-update-conflict-has-occurred/ – Italian only, sorry guys). If you missed my previous post It was about the SPUpdatedConcurrencyException and how to avoid it. My suggestion was to add a farm property, command-line-upgrade-running and set its value to No. (more…)

Troubleshoot SharePoint 2013 search queries 101

There are some easy steps I follow every time I have to troubleshoot SharePoint 2013 search queries when I’m quite sure that I should get some result but the Search Result (or Content By Search, aka CBS) Web Part do not agree.

First of all, I have to admit, I’m not perfect and I know that very well so the first thing I double check is the query I wrote. I usually re-write the query from scratch using a tool other than out-of-the-box Query Builder, SharePoint 2013 Search Query Tool (v2.x).

(more…)

Avoid common mistakes updating SharePoint Distributed Cache Service

Avoid common mistakes updating SharePoint Distributed Cache Service

A few months ago Wictor Wilen (@wictor) wrote a great blog post about how to properly patch the Distribute Cache Service. Even if I did it so many times I still look at Wictor’s post for reference every time I have to install software updates for DC.

In the past weeks I get into some issue that I think it could be useful to share. First, encoding. coping and pasting the following three line of configuration from the web page to the DistributedCacheService.exe.config file something went wrong with the encoding. (more…)

Discovering SharePoint installed updates

Discovering SharePoint installed updates

It’s a long time I wonder how to discover the list of installed updates in a SharePoint farm. Unfortunately not all updates are listed in the server’s control panel “view installed updates” page. This is bad because more than once it happened that I had to scale out a farm and there was no documentation at all.

I spent some time searching for how to get this list using Windows Powershell, but all I found out is that it seems that is not possible to get it (or no one did this before – or I did not search using the right keywords :)). I found lot of scripts but none of them did what I was looking for, the list of CU’s and hotfix installed on the farm. (more…)